Tuesday 5 September 2017

Get the most from your rehabilitation, and don't lose motivation.



Rehabilitation can be a very stressful time for an athlete. Nothing is worse than not being able to participate in the sport you love. I see it every season with my rugby players, and it never gets any easier. But, there are ways you can make the most of your rehabilitation and stay connected to your team mates.

Volunteer. This is easier said than done, however, if you volunteer to help the coaching staff or help to organise equipment it can keep you motivated and reduce the feelings of isolation. Often injured team mates stop showing up at training at it can lead to a lack of motivation and desire to keep pushing during the rehabilitation process. Be sure to attend team events and support on the side lines, staying motivated to continue is a key to the rehabilitations success.

Even if you are not a member of a club or a team the above can apply to any sport. Triathlete and running events are often looking for volunteers to help at drinks stations or to give verbal and moral support to those participating.

Don’t push yourself into pain. Basically, listen to your sports therapist or sports physio and don’t try to force yourself into doing too much. When we prescribe exercises, it is based upon your stage of healing. If you try and push yourself into pain it can often make things worse, especially in the early stages of healing. As a sports therapist, I must ensure the exercises are safe for the client, so moving ahead to soon could cause further injury.

Communicate. Both with your coach, team mates and sports therapist. I am always available for my clients if they have any questions. It is important, for me, to ensure if they’re not sure about something they can always ask. This also applies after rehabilitation is completed. If you’re my client I am available to help answer questions and offer advice. Communication also applies to your coaches, you shouldn’t be afraid to ask them for advice and they should be happy to give it. As a sports therapist, I am in contact with our coach with every injury and advise him of time lines and progress.

Adherence. This is the golden goose. If you don’t adhere to the exercises as prescribed the whole thing falls apart. When you get assessed at my clinic I include a two-week rehab program to get you started, it is important that the exercises and guidelines are followed to ensure safe progress is made. I also offer progressions and regressions to ensure if my client is having trouble, or find the exercises too easy, they can continue their rehabilitation without delay.

If you have any questions about rehabilitation or sports injuries please feel free to email me at sara@prestigesportinjury.co.uk