Tuesday 4 July 2017

Kinesio tape, is it worth the hype?

I

admit, I have a love-hate relationship with kinesio tape and I am by no means a kinesio tape expert, the below is just my opinion on my experience with kinesio tape.

While I would love to believe it has the ability to make a person faster, stronger and generally perform better, I just don't see conclusive evidence.

As a qualified Rock tape 'Rockdoc' I am intrigued by the Pain Gate Theory to help explain why kinesio tape can reduce pain. But, there's a part of me that feels that some of this may be the placebo effect in action.

I do explain the Pain Gate Theory and  placebo effect to my clients when I do use kinesio tape as I do not want to give them false expectations and I want to ensure they are aware the tape may not work.

I do use kinesio tape in my clinic (not often) and on my rugby players frequently, however, this is due to the fact that kinesio tape does provide light support to joints. I don't necessarily feel that it reduces their pain, but it does help to support ankles, knees, shoulders, elbows and wrists. In rugby I use kinesio tape after the early stage of rehabilitation, for instance once the zinc oxide tape used to provide support and protection can be removed I use then apply kinesio tape to help give the player support without reducing range of movement. I have also used in when players have returned to sport to give them peace of mind that the joint is stable and will not 'go' while on the pitch. I have tried to use it on hamstrings and calves to help 'maintain the flexibility' the muscle and reduce pain from tightness, but have found this ineffective in most cases.

I don't want to be a 'witch doctor' in my way of treating clients and players. For me kinesio tape is a mutual decision between myself and the client and they are made aware of all the ugly truth that it might just be pretty coloured tape, but it is an excellent way to support the joints after injury.

If you have any questions about sport injuries  and rehabilitation please do not hesitate to contact me at sara@prestigesportinjury.co.uk